Manchester City 3 Burnley 1: City cruise to their 8th consecutive win

Manchester City beat Burnley 3-1 overnight at the Etihad Stadium to extend their winning run to 8 games. The win also provided Pep Guardiola’s side with a crucial three points in the Premier League title race as they kept in touch with league leaders Liverpool.

First half

The game kicked off with Kevin De Bruyne and John Stones making their long-awaited returns to the starting lineup. Manchester City began on the front foot and their first chance fell to Kevin De Bruyne.

Matheus Nunes was fouled on the edge of the area by Burnley midfielder Sander Berge. It allowed De Bruyne an opportunity from a free kick to open the scoring. His effort was deflected just over the bar in an early warning shot for the visitors.

The champions would open the scoring in the 16th minute through Julian Alvarez. A gut-busting run from midfield by Matheus Nunes was expertly picked out by Phil Foden. After his initial cross was blocked the Portuguese midfielder put in a delightful cross for Alvarez to head home. Nunes had been a threat to the Burnley defence from kick-off and his industry set up the opener.

City would double their lead 6 minutes later. In a set-piece move straight from the training ground, Kevin De Bruyne played a sumptuous 30-yard pass to Julian Alvarez to add a second. It was a marvellous goal and was another example of De Bruyne’s quality.

Matheus Nunes almost added another three minutes later. He saw his shot from inside the area well-saved by James Trafford.

Josko Gvardiol then curled an effort wide of the post moments later as City pressed for a third.

The score would remain at 2-nil at the interval as Burnley held firm for the remainder of the half.

Second half

Pep Guardiola’s side would have their third of the night moments after the restart. Kevin De Bruyne played in Phil Foden who laid the ball off for Rodri to fire home. It was another quality strike from City’s midfield general reminiscent of his winner in last season’s Champions League final.

Burnley to their credit tried to get back into the game. Lyle Foster fired over after being played through minutes after City added their third.

After City’s third the game became a bit of a non-contest. The biggest question that remained was would Erling Haaland make his long-awaited return? The answer came in the 70th minute as he came on to replace Kevin De Bruyne. Haaland put himself about in his cameo but it was apparent that he needs time to rediscover his touch.

As the game headed to the final whistle Burnley had time to grab themselves a consolation goal. Ameen Al-Dakhil turned in a David Datro Fofana cross to spoil City’s clean sheet.


In truth, it was a routine three points for Pep Guardiola’s side. They barely had to get out of third gear as they cruised to their right consecutive victory in all competitions.

Matheus Nunes put in a man-of-the-match display is an energetic display. His runs from midfield were a standout of his performance. Julian Alvarez bagged a brace to continue his good form. The quality of Kevin De Bruyne was on display as he put in a commanding performance.

Up next for Manchester City is a trip to London to take on Brentford. They will be seeking their 9th consecutive win against a team that did the double over City last season.

Tags Brentford Burnley English Premier League Erling Haaland Etihad Stadium James Trafford John Stones Josko Gvardiol Julian Alvarez Kevin De Bruyne Manchester City Matheus Nunes Pep Guardiola Premier League title race Vincent Kompany