Manchester City finally get the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium monkey off their back with a 1-nil win

Manchester City finally got their elusive win at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium overnight. Their 1-nil win over Ange Postecoglou’s side booked their place in the fifth round of the FA Cup. It also finally saw Pep Guardiola’s side end their winless run at Spurs home ground.

First half

The game kicked off with the FA Cup holders looking in a determined mood to end their losing streak at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. City began the game in control and it seemed that their scoreless run was over at the home of Tottenham after 5 minutes.

A neat move saw Phil Foden’s shot well saved by Tottenham keeper Vicario. The resulting rebound fell into the path of Oscar Bobb who tapped in to seemingly give Manchester City the lead. After a lengthy VAR check, the goal was chalked off for offside.

Following Bobb’s disallowed goal the European champions dominated proceedings. They were cool and composed in possession with Bernardo Silva and Mateo Kovacic outstanding in midfield. While Pep Guardiola’s side dominated possession chances were at a premium.

Such was City’s dominance that they reduced Tottenham to resorting to long balls to get in behind the FA Cup holders on the break. But a stubborn City defence kept the hosts at bay.

The best chance for the remainder of the half fell to Oscar Bobb in the 42nd minute. Mateo Kovacic had a shot blocked on the edge of the box and the rebound fell to Bobb. The young Norwegian saw his goal-bound shot blocked by a stubborn Tottenham defence.

It saw the game go in at nil-all at the interval with Manchester City by far the better side.

Second half

The second half began in a similar vein to the first half. City were again dominant in possession as they pressed for the opener.

In the 52nd minute, Julian Alvarez was set up by a precise Oscar Bobb cross. But the striker’s shot was blocked by a heroic block from Spurs defender Micky van de Ven.

Just after the hour mark, Pep Guardiola brought on Jeremy Doku and Kevin De Bruyne in a bid to find an elusive goal for his side. They replaced Julian Alvarez and Oscar Bobb with the young Norwegian starlet showing he is more than capable of playing in big games for the treble winners.

Manchester City’s next big chance to grab the lead fell to Kevin De Bruyne in the 81st minute. Some brilliant pressing from Phil Foden forced Pierre-Emile Højberg into a mistake and he played in De Bruyne. But City’s inspirational midfielder could only fire wide of the post when it seemed inevitable that he would score.

It appeared that City’s goalless streak at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium was set to continue. That was until the 88th minute when Nathan Ake gave his team a well-deserved lead.

A Kevin De Bruyne corner was floated into the near post. Tottenham keeper Vicario could only half clear the ball under pressure from Ruben Dias. Nathan Ake poked the ball home to send the 9000 travelling City fans delirious. There was a lengthy VAR check to see if Dias had fouled Vicario but the goal was rightfully given.

The FA Cup holders would see out the final minutes to end their Tottenham Hotspur Stadium curse and book their ticket to the last 16 of the FA Cup.


Manchester City finally beat Tottenham at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. They were the dominant side over the 90 minutes and the win was deserved for Pep Guardiola’s side.

Mateo Kovacic put in a man-of-the-match display to continue his recent good form. He was all over midfield and his driving runs were a feature throughout.

The FA Cup holders will next face Burnley in Premier League action on Wednesday night. They will head into the game on the back of 7 consecutive wins in all competitions and with the hoodoo of Tottenham Hotspur Stadium finally broken.

Tags Ange Postecoglou Bernardo Silva FA Cup FA Cup defence FA Cup holders Jeremy Doku Julian Alvarez Kevin De Bruyne Manchester City Nathan Ake Oscar Bobb Pep Guardiola Phil Foden Ruben Dias Tottenham Hotspur Tottenham Hotspur Stadium